Key Points: Eric Swalwell Assault Probe
- The Eric Swalwell assault investigation escalated sharply this week after FBI agents seized his electronic devices and searched his Washington home.
- Four women have now been contacted by the FBI as part of the federal probe into the former congressman.
- Swalwell resigned from Congress and dropped his California governor’s bid in April after the allegations first surfaced.
- His attorney continues to deny every allegation, calling the situation an organized campaign against her client.
Eric Swalwell Assault Case Reaches The Federal Level
The Eric Swalwell assault investigation moved into serious new territory this week. Federal agents intercepted the former congressman at San Francisco International Airport on Saturday and seized his phone and other devices under a search warrant.
A day later, agents executed a separate warrant at his Washington, D.C. home while neither Swalwell nor his wife were present, according to multiple people familiar with the investigation.
Why A Federal Investigation Changes Everything
Up to this point, the allegations against Swalwell were being examined separately by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office and the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. Both are state level inquiries with their own scope and limitations.
FBI involvement signals something different. A federal probe can draw on nationwide investigative resources, subpoena power across state lines, and potential charges that exist entirely outside what any single local prosecutor could pursue on their own.
Sources say four women have already been contacted directly by federal investigators, suggesting agents are building a broader timeline rather than examining a single isolated incident.
How This Story Began
Swalwell’s political career unraveled quickly in April. CNN and the San Francisco Chronicle first reported detailed allegations from four women, including a former staffer who said he assaulted her in 2024 after she had already left his office.
That reporting arrived while Swalwell was actively campaigning for California governor, a race he had entered as one of the better known Democratic contenders. He suspended that campaign on April 12 as pressure mounted from fellow Democrats.
He resigned from Congress the following day, ending a seven term run representing a Bay Area district he had held since 2012.
What Swalwell And His Legal Team Are Saying
Swalwell has consistently and publicly denied every allegation brought against him. His attorney, Sara Azari, described the claims as a coordinated effort to damage his reputation rather than legitimate accusations.
Following news of the FBI’s escalation, attorney Arick Fudali, representing one of the women involved, said her legal team welcomed the expanded federal involvement in the case.
Swalwell himself did not immediately respond to requests for comment following this weekend’s raids, according to multiple outlets that reached out.
The Political Fallout Continues
Swalwell’s abrupt exit from Congress triggered a special election to fill his former seat. California Assemblymember Aisha Wahab won that race and will serve out the remainder of his term through January.
Wahab is also running again this November to hold the seat for a full two year term, meaning voters in the district will effectively vote on this race twice within the same year.
Swalwell had previously built a national profile as one of President Trump’s most visible Democratic critics during his time in the House, a reputation that has largely faded from view since April.
What Happens Next
Federal investigations of this nature often take months to develop before any charging decision gets made. The seized devices will likely undergo forensic review as investigators work to corroborate or challenge specific claims from each accuser.
Neither the Manhattan nor Los Angeles investigations have been closed, meaning Swalwell could theoretically face scrutiny on multiple fronts simultaneously depending on how each case develops from here.
The Bottom Line
This weekend’s raids mark the most serious escalation yet in a case that has already ended one political career. Whether it leads to formal federal charges remains the central question moving forward.
Trenbuzz will continue following developments in the Eric Swalwell assault investigation as new information becomes available.

